Saturday, June 7, 2014

A simple quilt tutorial


I often try to use my stash (extra stored fabrics) inbetween other projects.  I've had quite a few requests for purple quilts recently and my drawer was overflowing.  So here is an example of a simple, but effective, quilt design that can be laid out in many different ways and uses up some of that stash.
Start with 6.5" blocks of whatever color and background fabric you wish to use plus 3.5" blocks of your color.  Per block you need 2 each background/color at 6.5" and 2 of the 3.5" color.  Mix and match colors as you choose.  I made 36 blocks but this pattern adapts easily for many sizes and once you see the layout options below, you might choose a different number of blocks.  
So that's four 6.5" blocks and two 3.5" blocks per finished block. Here's my pile of cut fabric.  You will see strips for borders but won't see them in the finished project.  
I took a few minutes to mark the back side of all the small blocks.  I find it makes for easier sewing and keeps me straight.  Even advanced quilters don't always sew straight lines without some help!
Time for a bunch of chain piecing.  Sew all the small colored blocks to the large background blocks.  Then cut the extra fabric away leaving a 1/4 inch seam, press open. Easy stuff!
Once you have all your pieces together you can create your block.  As you can see below there are various options.  You can mix and match your colors, your middles, or group all the same together.  When you are pleased with the effect, lay out your four blocks to make the one large block and get to some chain piecing. This is a fun baby quilt if you choose a child oriented background fabric as your feature and then keep the colors to blues, pinks, yellows etc.
Press your completed blocks well and then have fun laying out the quilt top design.  As I mentioned I made 36 blocks so my layouts below make these designs.  Depending on how many you create, your layouts might vary.  You will see that I ultimately chose slightly differently.

Ok. That was fun!  Now that you've chosen your layout get your rows together and your top competed.  I ended up splitting mine and went with two smaller quilts.  One is completed without borders and the other will end up having simple borders added once I finish.  I chose a purple backing fabric, layered with cotton batting in the middle and opted for a simple quilting pattern.  Be brave and do your own quilting if you can.  Or pay someone else to do it!  Here is my competed top using 20 of the blocks.  I plan to use the remaining 16 in one of the other layouts with a simple border.

No comments:

Post a Comment