Monday, March 31, 2014

Quilt Shops

One of the many aspects of quilting that I enjoy is exploring quilt shops outside my local area.  Whenever I travel, I always google ahead and check if the town has a quilt or sewing store.  I've visited stores in Oregon, Idaho, North & South Dakota, Montana, and London to name a few.  Here are a couple of my favorites.

Last year, when visiting one of my son's at University in Reno, I first discovered Windy Moon Quilts.  It's a large shop not too far from the 'strip' in a slightly odd location, but easily found.  The staff are helpful, the selection is vast, and they are also a Bernina/Janome dealership (my machines of choice).  I headed back there this past weekend and took two of my friends with me.  We came away with a little fabric, an interesting ruler, some bobbins, and a pattern. Plus we had a nice chat with the owner who located to Reno from Napa a few years ago.  So if you happen to be in Reno, make sure you check out this shop.  Tell them I sent you!

www.windymoonquilts.com
Address: 440 Spokane St, Reno, NV 89512
Phone:(775) 323-4777

Another shop I discovered on my travels a few years ago is located in Sisters, Oregon.  The Stitchin' post is at one end of a lovely main street in beautiful Central Oregon.  I remember a picturesque drive through an abundance of lush forest and the countryside was inspiration for a nature themed quilt.  The store was beautifully laid out and had some amazing fabrics and my kids were good sports about indulging their mama visiting a store while we were on vacation.
http://www.stitchinpost.com/
Phone: 541-549-6061

Last but not least is for the overseas traveler.  If you find yourself in London, my birthplace, make sure you head down to Liberty's.  Located inside a gorgeous Tudor style building in the West End of Central London near the Oxford Circus tube station, Liberty's of London houses an array of "haberdashery" and homewares. I treated myself to a gorgeous piece of fabric in the softest lawn cotton called Liberty Tana Fawn that I ultimately used in a wall hanging.  
Regent Street, London W1B 5AH, United Kingdom +44 20 7734 1234
www.liberty.co.uk
 Here is a shot of my dear friend and I outside the store anticipating our visit to Liberty's!
Please let me know of any shops you've visited that are worth knowing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment